Monday, February 07, 2005

Superbowl Commercials

I am a huge fan of the commercials during the Superbowl. This is the only time I like commercials. I am really only an intense fan of the game itself when the Carolina Panthers are playing, but I tend to try to choose the underdogs and watch the game for fun.

I was pretty disappointed last night with the Superbowl commercials. Only 4 of the many commercials were really good. Then, for some reason, there were several commercials that were just repeated over and over. Take for instance, the new Ford Mustang convertible coming out. I would've ranked that one as cool, except that they repeated it ten billion times.

Next, are the recurring themed commercials. The monkeys they used to advertise the online job source just got annoying. The first time, I was like, "oh, I get it. Are you working with a bunch of monkeys?" Then there were just several of the same. It was tiring.

The 4 unique commercials that I enjoyed are as followed (ranked highest (1) and on down) with descriptions after:
1. Ameriquest's Cat commercial- this was the funniest one for me. I continued to laugh after the commercial was over! Here is this guy, with all intentions of cooking his honey a lovely dinner. The cat likes to get on the counter. He shooes the cat off the counter and proceeds to cook italian food, red sauce being the kicker. As he is chopping something up, the cat jumps on the counter and knocks the pan of red sauce all over itself and the floor. Guy freaks out, picks up cat covered in sauce, lifting it above the red sploch on the floor, knife in the other hand, just as gal walks in. It flips over to "Don't judge to quickly." hehehe.
2. Diet Pepsi, P-Diddy commercial- Here is P-Diddy, on the way to the Academy Awards. His car breaks down in the desert. Diet Pepsi truck comes by and picks him up giving him a ride to the awards. Everybody is shocked at what P-Diddy appears to be driving. This starts a new trend where everyone is getting a Diet Pepsi truck, most pimping their ride up! At the end, Carson Daily drives by P-Diddy and hollas at him to check out his ride as P-Diddy gives him a confused/"what tha" look.
3. Cell Phone Ad- Guy claims his service has worked pretty well for him all the time, except a few unimportant times. Then you see a pet store trying to call the guy and explain that instead of taking home a Boa, he has taken home a very poisonous snake. This information breaks up over the phone as the guy is playing with his "pet" snake. He says, "Come on, gimme a kiss" as the poisonous snake bites him!
4. BudLight- Scenario: Parachuters on an airplane, hesitant guy. Leader tries to lull him to jump by tossing out a six-pack of BudLight. He hesitates, and then you see a man run by him and jump out without a parachute after the beer. The two realize that that man was the pilot and the leader jumps. "Just too good to pass up."

So, these are my top picks for the Superbowl commercials 2005. Now to reminisce a little.

Some of my more favorite past commercials have included products such as a few dot.coms, 7up, Pepsi, and Budweiser. My favorite one is a hard pick.

There was a dot.com that tried to shoot hamsters through the "O" on a wall that had a hole through the center with a small, high-powered cannon. They repeatedly missed and the host would say stuff like "oh, so close!" It was absolutely hilarious. They finally did aim right and get one to pass through. I know it enraged some animal right activists, but they did show the hamsters walking away ok. I was shocked, but laughed the whole time!

I loved the frog commercials. "Bud" "Weis" "Er."

Then there were the 7up commercials. There are so many hilarious ones. I loved the original 7up guy with the dreads. Now, he was funny. One of my favorites was when he asked everyone to send pictures of their "cans." Instead of getting a bunch of pictures of cans of 7up, he got a bunch of pictures of people's butts! My favorite line was "looked like two big Christmas hams." Then he ends it with, "Mom?!!" The 7up people always came up with something creative, whether it be random machines in random places, or a guy that chased a cheetah that drank/ate his 7up can.

The herding of the cats instead of cows.

The cute Pepsi little girl!


Sometimes, I can't always remember what exact product they were advertising, but I can remember the jists of my favorites. I also can't stand ones that use people who I don't really like, such as Britney Spears. Ugh, who wants to see her in another skimpy outfit? Not me.

Well, if you have any favorites that you can think of, write a comment and remind me. I probably will remember it, and if I don't, it would be great to see your thoughts and opinions! These are all that I can think of off the top of my head, and I know I have had more that I have liked!

No comments: