Monday, September 04, 2006

Life Update

A lot has been going on!!! I don't think I've put a life update on here in quite some time. Here goes....

Life continues to be interesting. I have to be honest, the inner peace I have about everything sometimes is just amazing. It doesn't matter what's going on, I still am content where I am.

Firstly, my brother got married! If you want to see pictures they are here. It is pretty cool having a sister by marriage now. Rachel is probably the best person I could have asked for to fill those shoes. Speaking of which, they just bought a house. Now, Thomas just needs a job. They are currently up in the Boone area for this semester and then moving back near home in Durham.

Rodney and I are just loving and living life. We are trying to get him a permanent position with WCPSS. He's got a lead and is just waiting the news of whether or not he got the position at an elementary school in the area. I'm speaking positively about this one. We decided to add yet another egg in another basket in our finances by starting an aviary. We are delightfully calling it "True Love Aviaries." Now all I need to do is not get attached to every lovebird that is hatched as I am to the only one who hatched in our first clutch. The next clutches should be better now that we have full control over the parents' diets.

The common question many people have is, "Have you decided about medical school yet?" Well, no, I haven't. Speaking of which, I need to send off that $100 deposit to hold my spot! If I do decide to start, it will be in the fall of next year, 2007. So what am I doing now? Well, I am still at Durham Tech, but doing all my work over in the ESL office, and thank God I am out of AHS/GED/ABE. Don't even get me started about the excuses made to me why I wouldn't continue on teaching the lab. They didn't even do what they said they were going to do. But, that's okay, because you know what, they're missing out and I have a much happier position now, working with students who actually want to be there. What's funny is how mad it made some of the teachers over there (no names, they know who they are) when they found out I wouldn't be there any more!

Ok.... so yay for my awesome bosses in the ESL department!

Moving on....
I still don't want kids. Yeah, sorry to disappoint the many efforts of many people who have had babies recently and those who think that I will change my mind. In fact, I am loving taking care of our current baby lovebird so much, that is definitely what I would rather do than raise human babies! Speaking of lovebirds, BeBe is currently trying to attack my keyboard. I do love working with the human babies in the nursery on Sunday mornings and holding newborns, but it is great to just give them back. Besides, I have always told my Mom this news and that Thomas would have grandkids for her!! LOL.

Grandma is continuing her ALS battle. She will die from this and probably sooner rather than later. She was living in my parents house for about 3 and a half months. The last month or so I have been helping out a lot taking care of her. I will never regret spending time with her no matter how hard at times it was to take care of her. I still can't believe that she not only made it to Thomas' wedding but also to his reception! ALS is so hard to watch a person go through. Many times, she would ask me why she has to suffer and what she did to deserve this. It literally is like living in a prison in your body. Your mind is still totally intact, but the body just shuts down. The hardest day I had was when the Hospice nurse, Toni, had a serious talk with her about families supporting her in her decisions about her wishes. Grandma turned to me and asked me if I supported her, and I just totally lost it. I had to leave the room. Hospice was a great help though. I always enjoyed it when Toni came over. Grandma had some of her most "happy" days when Sharon was sitting with her during the day. I am actually thinking about compiling a book to help those who are dealing with a family member with ALS with our experiences. She is now in Atlanta with my Aunt. When she left, that was probably the last time I will ever see her alive again.

The Glaxo SmithKline drama continues. It is almost for sure that my Dad won't have a job there after this month. They have been leading him on for way too long! The problem I have with this is the pack of lies his boss, Tim, is making up. Some junk about his compounds being sloppy and impure. Amazingly enough, when my Dad checked with the purification department there was nothing wrong with his compounds. I just think his silly-little, overcompensating-for-something boss needs to grow up and admit he's wrong and get his butt outta of there! But, no, he has made up his mind and his type-A personality just won't change. The whole corporate america "50 and fired" infuriates me, but don't get me started on that one either. Companies just don't know how to take care of their long-time, loyal employees anymore. I am still holding out that maybe another position in the company will open up or that my Dad will be blessed with something even better and more enjoyable.

Wow, that last paragraph is funny to me. Anyways...

I continue to enjoy the various activities that I do on a daily basis. I really feel like a webmaster when it comes to the Campus and Youth Websites I update and teaching others and fixing things. I also enjoy working out and walking with my husband at night.

I've been in two weddings so far this summer: one of my best friends, Jen's and Thomas'. I am in one in a little under 2 weeks from today of my awesome friend and wedding director, Julie Anna. That weekend is so packed. I am quadruply booked, but Julie's wedding takes priority. Then, I am helping Bridget out on her day in October. Everyone is getting married!!!

I discovered facebook and myspace this past summer and have been enjoying reconnecting with people. It really has helped me keep up with some of the awesome people I met at CBC this year.

Well, these are the main things going on right now. If I think of something else, I will post a comment or new blog. Do keep checking back for new pictures of our birds coming soon!

No comments: