Tuesday, December 14, 2004

The Lord of the Rings

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Man, I love the Lord of the Rings. This is probably why I've never really gotten into Harry Potter (I've never made it past the 1st chapter... I may try again). Now, that's not to say that I hate Harry Potter because I did like the last movie (perhaps it was the new director). However, there is just no comparison to Lord of the Rings.

As you might know (Dan and Carrie especially), The Return of the King came out on Special Edition today! I told everyone that I just couldn't wait until Christmas and not to buy it as a gift for me. So that means another trip to Walmart where I might be tempted to buy more than just that one DVD (sorry girls--you know who you are--, I can't help myself!). Honestly, I am just so excited that the long awaited release has come.

Now why do I adore these movies and books? They definitely have a great director and author. I do like looking at the cast of hotties. But, the story is what always comes out beyond everything else. Its a story of struggles, temptation, humor, fantasy, war, love, strength, and friendship. It's just a great balance of all of those aspects. I laugh, I cry, I get anxious, I get into all of it. What other movies and books will do that to you?




I have to say that I was never such a fanatic until I met my friend Dan. He is more of a Lord of the Rings fanatic that I am now. He is a tough battle when it comes to trivia! We had an unofficial competition about how many times we saw the movies in the theater. He won for the Fellowship, I won for the Two Towers, and we called it a draw for the Return of the King. All in all, I saw the Fellowship 5 times, the Two Towers 6 times, and the Return of the King 7 times. Pretty sad, eh?

My favorite character by far is Aragorn. Who wouldn't like a strong man with a sword who loves, cares for others, fights for good and is a handsome king! Fighting is so natural for him and Viggo is a great actor for the part. It's funny to think that he didn't know anything about the trilogy when they asked him to fill the part (his son actually loves the trilogy and wouldn't let him turn the part down). I even have a setting on my phone named "Aragorn."

I definitely think they cast very well for all the characters in the movie. It is always nice to see a movie based from a book. It helps me to give the characters a face as I read the books and engages me more in the story.



So, I do own lots of paraphernalia. I own calendars, figurines, books, & collectibles. I am always on the lookout for other collectibles. I am kindof of sad that I haven't had a movie to look forwards to this year, and I do hope that Jackson does the Hobbit.

I would definitely call the Lord of the Rings triology my favorite movies of all time. I compare all other movies to them. Much praise to Peter Jackson and Tolkien!


2 comments:

Corona Red said...

Lord of the Rings was amazing - both the books and movies. Harry Potter is too. The books are so much better than the movies. You have to get through the first chapter to really get a feel for them. I highly suggest trying them again.

Tamara said...

So I did it! I only bought 1 DVD, the one I intended to get (ROTK)! But, boy was I tempted to get more....