Wednesday, December 22, 2004

EMT

So today was my first real day on duty with my EMS station and what a day it was! I got up quite early this morning and got on duty at 7am (until 6pm).

Things started out a bit slow as one of the Paramedics was late (he slept in and forgot he was supposed to be there). Our first chores include checking off the trucks. I met a lovely gal named Jennifer who is a volunteer paramedic-in-training who took me right under her wing and started showing me how to check the truck off. She was doing it quite fast from memory (very impressive--- something I'll have to do eventually as a test). Then, she handed the sheet over to me for my own practice.

Before I could even get the front cab and the first side door done, I was shoved into Medic 2 with Doug and Larry. It was my first call and I was really nervous. When we got into the truck, I could hear over the radio that a 32 year old mother was giving birth in her bathroom. The baby was crowning (it's head was coming out)! What an awesome first call-- I would get to welcome a new Christmas baby!

The ride over was actually quite frightening. I thought for sure the truck was going to turn over as Doug drove the truck crazily through traffic with sirens and lights blaring. I have never gone that fast on urban roads before!

Over the radio we then heard that the baby had come already! This was her second and he just didn't want to wait... literally. When we got there, we just strolled into the house and up the stairs where the firefighters had already arrived and started patient care. Apparently, they always beat us to the location on calls. Grandma was holding the new baby boy named Sam. Dad seemed a bit concerned, and Mom was on the floor in pain as the placenta had not yet been delivered.

Baby Sam was getting a bit cold, so Doug took him out to the truck and wrapped him in towels and hot packs. We then loaded Mom in a stair-chair to get her down the stairs and onto the stretcher. Finally and quickly we were off to the hospital with sirens blaring once again and a new born baby in my arms. I have never held a newborn before, so that was quite a joy. Here I was, welcoming him into the cold and bright world. His purplypink fingers were so small! He kept kicking in his blanket, so I had to keep rearranging the oxygen tube on blow-by in the blanket for him.

I then carried little Sam into the hospital completely covered for warmth. We walked right into a delivery room where I saw the confirmatory reasons why having kids may not be for me. I watched as the doctor pulled out the placenta and then sewed poor Mom back up! Despite it all, Mom and Baby will be fine!

What amazes me the most is how Doug was with Mom. He really stepped in holding her hand and supporting her. He would tell her to breath and just was so wonderful. Finally, Dad got to the hospital and Doug allowed him to take his supportative spot. The most rewarding part of the call was when the family thanked all of us, including me, by name.

We did a total of 3 calls today, which is quite a busy 11 hour shift, but not as busy as it could be. We helped a 49 year old man get to the hospital after falling from a spasmed disk in his back and even talked about his and our dogs to keep his mind off the pain. When you can find something to relate to the patient with, you can truly connect and carry out patient care to the fullest extent. We also cared for a 5 year old boy after being on coverage for another station. Really, the boy was scared after falling on a rock and lacerating his knee. I tell you what, riding an ambulance is expensive. If you don't have to, or need to, please save yourself the money and drive yourself or the hurt patient. Especially if that person just needs a few stitches and is not bleeding to death.

I learned a lot today. I even sat down with the chief and learned the hand-held radios. It was an incredibly awesome and tiring day, and I enjoyed every minute of it.



No comments: