Thursday, February 28, 2008

Pigwidgeon's Tumor

The pictures I have below are for awareness and education. In no way do I intend to "gross you out" or depict something that is offensive. There are a few "graphic shots" below the shot of myself and Pigwidgeon.

This is Pigwidgeon right after we got him last year. Shortly after we got him (at the end of April 2007), our vet didn't give him a very good prognosis. He has lived longer than any of us ever thought he would and it is probably partially due to the better diet and companion he has with Hedwig. She really livened him up!

Well, his tumor has grown. I took him to the vet yesterday along with the babies. Originally, I thought I wouldn't need to, but Pigwidgeon had regurgitated on himself yesterday morning. This is one sign that the tumor could be affecting how he feels overall. He only has regurgitated on himself two other times, but it still frightens and upsets me when I find him after he has. As you can see, his lower abdomen is swollen.

What you are seeing here is actually his gizzard protruding out (like his intestines). Above it, I think you can see part of the tumor. Dr. Burkett has given him another 3-6 months prognosis, but who knows? He could surprise us! After we got home from the vet, Pigwidgeon seemed to be his normal (well, normal for him as of now) self again.

By the way, as we arrived to see Dr. Burkett, another woman was leaving with her budgies who had just been diagnosed with tumors as well. This is a heart-breaking normality seen in many budgies obtained from pet stores who get their budgies from breeders who do not control inbreeding. Click here for the original prognosis post from last year and info about the early symptoms of a tumor.

I love him. He is very dear to me. I will miss him, but I will also enjoy and cherish the time I have left with him.

No comments: