Friday, March 18, 2005

Med School Interview

Today, I went to ECU for a medical school interview. I thought it went quite well. Better than last time. There were a few differences this time though.

First of all, I was prepared and knew what was coming. I still felt nervous, but I understood the process.

Next, I enjoyed interviewing with both of the people this time. The first lady was really nice. She was enjoyable to talk to and I felt really comfortable with her. It was the second person that I interviewed that was the best part.

Before I get into that, I noticed a few different things about my experience in other aspects. They moved the admissions office for one, into a better area: on the same floor as the medical school classes. Dr. Peden also had his lower leg amputated due to cancer. He didn't want to endure the very hard chemo again (this was a second occurence). Lastly, the tour was longer and more in depth than last time.

I found out some really important things about the fact that I would be married when I started if I get in. It's actually a really good thing. Especially since everyone who is already married think its a great thing to have someone to come home to. They also have a spousal support group for spouses of BSOM (ECU Brody School of Medicine) students. They really try hard to make everyone whether married or single feel important and welcome. They know that married students still want friends and study partners and try hard not to let them being married make them become loners. This really excites me!

Now back to the 2nd interviewer. Everything was going great. Then Dr. Patton threw me a couple of curve balls with a couple of scenario questions. He asked me if I couldn't be a doctor, what would I do. I had rehearsed myself for answers like that. I told him I still wanted to do something in the health professions field. Then he came up with a scenario that if all the med schools I had applied for accepted me and they all had the same financial draws, why would I choose BSOM. Well, I knew that BSOM was a best fit for me and really meets my needs for my future goals. Then came the question I hadn't prepared for. Why wouldn't I choose BSOM over the others. That was a toughy. I told him that maybe because someone might not recognize the prestige of ECU (not that ECU wasn't prestigious) like they might of UNC or Duke. I also said because they might accept me easier because of a greater class size. Either way, I was nervous. He told me that I didn't need to rationalize my answers because he had opened up that barrel of monkeys. I felt fine about my answers.

The whole kicker came when he asked me what drives me. I thought for a second. I knew in my heart what drove me. It was God. Should I say that though? What if he wasn't religious? He was going to represent me to the committee. What if I offended him?

I decided that I shouldn't be scared of my convictions. I started on the conservative side and said that I was a religious person. He asked me to clarify. So I said that I was a Christian and told him that God's will and purpose for me is what drives me. I continued to tell him that the only reason I feel I have a purpose in life was because God gives me one. At this point, the interviewer started to fumble around like he was looking for something. He finally pulled out one of his business cards and wrote a URL on it. He explained to me that the URL was one of the Christian Medical Dental Association and that he too was a Christian (much to my relief!). I then told him that I was also looking forwards to going to ECU because of the Greenville Church of Christ. I had told him early that I was actively involved in lots of things in my home church. He said he had a good friend whom he had the best religious discussions with who went to that church. I was absolutely amazed.

At the end of the interview, he made it a point to ask if he could say the interview was officially over. I said yes. Then came the best part of the whole day. He asked me, "Would you like to pray?" I almost went into shock. Of course I wanted to pray with him! He said he loved meeting other brothers and sisters in Christ. We held hands across his desk and I listened as he prayed for me. He prayed for my effort to get in, for it to be successful should it be God's will, he prayed for Rodney and I. I wanted to cry. But, I kept my emotions inside. I was just so happy for this wonderful experience. We hugged on the way out and I told him that I definitely show my face should I get in. Overall, it was just so wonderful that I had met another Christian doctor.

All in all, today was the most positive experience I've had in all my medical school pursuits. I am glad God put me there. Thankyou Jesus and Amen!

No comments: