Monday, March 06, 2006

Morning Prayer

This one was passed on via email to me:

Lord God,
What am I to do with the many things in my life:
church,
family,
job,
house and car,
exercise,
education,
social life,
community service,
friends who come and friends who go,
food and drink,
this repair or that,
this interruption or that,
this illness or that,
e-mails and correspondence,
finance and investment,
books and movies,
newspapers and magazines,
longings and ambitions,
love and sexuality,
travel and leisure?
Is it really "simplify, simplify, simplify"?
I ask only that my life may be totally transformed
by your Spirit of love, O God.
All these things and more will likely stay.
What is new is
that I am set free
from the compulsions of this world
and my heart is set on the only necessary thing.
What is new is
that I no longer experience the many things, people and events in my life
as endless causes of worry,
but I begin to experience them
as the many, colorful ways
in which God makes his presence known to me.

AMEN

No comments: