Wednesday, April 12, 2006

ALS is Progressing....

As I was chatting with my Dad tonight he passed on some discouraging news about my Grandmother. Most of you know that she was diagnosed with ALS back in January. Well, it seems to be progressing quite fast (though it could have been present for awhile and she just kept it to herself). Last week, I went with her to Duke to her doctor's appointment and was well-informed (though unsure I was ready for all of that) about the decisions she would have to make for her care. She was mainly having difficulty swallowing (it would take her three or so big gulping reflexes to get one tiny sip down) and now she is having difficulty breathing (which wasn't like that last week). She has pretty much accepted her predicament and isn't hopeful herself. Her emotions are very much evident in that. My Dad and I especially feel that she may not be around for much longer, and she will definitely be needing more care when she returns from Atlanta (where she is with my Aunt right now). It may even come to her moving in with my parents by the end of next week or early the following week. This is disheartening and sad for me and my family right now. She is my only remaining grandparent.

We would appreciate prayers for God's will in this. I know that most of us don't want her to suffer even though we selfishly desire for her to stay around. Please also pray that she has made the right decisions in her spiritual life as well and that all is straight with her and God. Pray for her comfort during this time and for our strength (especially when we are around her). Thank you so much!

Feel free to pass this along to the other prayer warriors you might know!

5 comments:

Tamara said...

I will most likely post responses I get via email here for words of encouragements.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamara,

thanks for letting me know the update about your grandma and your family. I will be keeping all of you in my prayers. I have thought about you and all of this alot since our night at camp a couple months ago. Although I haven't been good about staying in touch, you have been near in my thoughts! Please let me know how all of you are doing as you have time. God will provide!

in HIM,
Bonnie G.

Anonymous said...

Tamara -
You are a strong and loving young lady and I know you are up for this challenge. It is going to be very, very hard, but the love you have for your grandmother will indeed get you through the worst of it. Your Grandmother is also a strong and loving woman....how else could your father have turned out so wonderfully. Speak with her frankly about your questions about her spiritual life....I don't think she would be upset....

We know God can heal and he can ease so many hurts....we have seen it time and again. He has definitely put all the pieces together so that you all can care for her....you and Rodney are here, and in togetherness, your family will be stronger. You all have us to lean on as well. Remember, just because we don't share blood does not mean we are not family in all ways.....even as dysfunctional as we can be at times. I know I can speak for many of us....when you need us, we will be there....and even when you don't call aloud, we will be with you in thought, and in prayer. Enjoy this incredible time you will have with her - bond even more closely as a family and learn all you can from her. I wish always that I was able to have my grandparents longer and I wish I had done some things differently....say all you need to say, love her as much as possible and enjoy her as much as you can....as they say - live, love and laugh....and indeed if need be, cry....and allow her to cry as well and to rage if she needs to....her body may give up, but her mind is still there - don't let the outer person fool you....but you know all this....so I will say no more....just know that I am here for you all in whatever way you need for me to be....

Love,
Bonnie H.

Anonymous said...

Tamara,

While I did not want to do it, I asked my mother about her salvation. To ease your mind, you might want to be bold and ask your grandmother if you aren't certain.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Tamara,

I am sorry to hear that things have taken a downward turn with your grandmother. I prayed for your grandmother's situation. I know how you must feel, I lost my last and closest grandparent my freshman year of college and it was hard. I know your family will be there for her to give her strength. Keep the faith!

Your brother,

Frank