Sunday, May 13, 2007

Contemplation

Lately, I have been contemplating where I am right now in life. It actually amazes me to think that I'm not in life where I expected to be just a few short years ago. If you had asked me when I was college where would I be when I was at the verge of turning 25, I would have told you I would be in Medical School, in my third year, and living in Greenville, NC. Pets? Probably a parrot of some type, being that I married a parrot-guy. What would Rodney (my husband) be doing? Writing music full time and teaching music part-time. Kids? Probably after medical school.

Where am I now? Well...... Let's just say, not quite what I pictured, but probably happier now than if I had been where I thought I would've been.

I am a Mommy to 4 wonderful pet parrots for one (+ 2 breeders/pets). I am an Aunt on MY side of the family (WOW! who would've thought that???). I am fulfilled taking care of my home (that one has got to be the craziest of all). I turned down medical school for the fall (holy moley!). We don't want kids (hey, I got a baby nephew... I'm all good in the diaper dept there). I am coming up on 2 YEARS (yes, unbelievable!) of marriage. I feel like a newly wed still even though I am a bit of a veteran now (when your single friends come to you for "marriage bed" info, you know you've been married a little while longer!). I own 2 businesses (me, business owner? who would've thought.... not me!)!

Why is all this relevant? Well, I am turning 25 years old in August and I am still learning that there is no real way to "plan" your life. See, we all end up with unexpected obstacles in our lives. The decisions you make surrounding those circumstances truly make you who you are. That is a pretty cool thing too because, then, at least you can try and make the right decisions in your life.

Hindsight can be depressing at times, but then again, it can also give you insight to why certain things didn't go as "planned." That is when you can see the directions God led you to get you where you are now.

I love the motto, "Who you are is God's gift to you, and who you become is your gift to God." It is so true. God doesn't force you to make certain decisions. He opens doors and closes doors for a reason. It's trusting Him and knowing that He has 20/20 foresight! Man, sometimes I wish we had that so that then we could "plan" our lives. But then there would be no surprises!

No comments: