Monday, January 31, 2005

5 Years Since High School!

Wow. Can you believe that I got an email a week or so ago letting me know about my 5 year High School Reunion? I feel so old, yet I am so NOT old. I just think its funny, especially since my fiance will have his 10-year reunion next year.

I've been thinking over the last few days what it's going to be like going there and seeing how everyone has changed and such. I can surely say that I am not the same person that I was 5 years ago. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to my high school years, though they were good.

I was talking with Andrea and Renee not so long ago about people, crushes, and memories over our every few months tradition of going to The Cheesecake Factory, and I always enjoy finding out about my former classmates. It's neat to see how people's goals and relationships have changed or developed.

As I pondered upon that very subject concerning myself, I thought I'd write about what I would say to everyone there at the reunion, should I go (which I am planning to at this point).

So let's see..... I graduated college. I actually miss those days up at App. I was putting some pictures into some albums and ran across a lot of pictures from those days. I always hated the stress, especially when it came to organic chemistry. I don't know what it is about that subject, but I just have a hard time. However, I loved being there despite the sharp wind and snow.

I made a new life goal. I always had imagined being a doctor since I was young, but I never set it in stone until I set my major. I think back to high school and I remember imagining myself as a pilot, astronaut, doctor, or missionary somewhere. I never thought I would like or enjoy teaching. Though I have thoroughly enjoyed teaching science and Spanish, it's just not my life's goal.

The next part about becoming a doctor becomes getting into medical school. I have learned to be patient in this process and just keep trying. Even the words, "we are interested in pursuing your candidacy," be it with/without an interview gets me excited (VCU). I tried to get in this past fall, but it was a blessing that I didn't. I wouldn't have been able to put money aside or plan a wedding. Which leads me to my next point....

I've been checking out the people who have joined the Yahoo! Group for our class and it's simply amazing how many people are either in committed relationships or married. Here I am, 5 years later and I am getting married! I wonder what people might think of that!? I kindof knew I would probably be married by my mid-twenties. It was just inevitable for me.

It's funny how people come and go when it comes to friendships and classmates from the past. I hung out with a few people from my class in college as they just happened to be there, or were already my friends. Then, there are the relationships with people that you didn't have in high school (but who went to the same high school) that you make in college. This happened to me. I got to know a Enloeite at App that I had heard of (by namesake) in high school but just never knew. Lo and behold, we became friends and close, and now she is a bridesmaid in my wedding. Ironic? Maybe.

I really need to be better about getting on AIM. A lot of the people I have been able to keep up with over the years has been because of that. Then there are the people who changed their names and didn't tell me. Shame on you! I miss a lot of those people and feel bad that I have been such a bum friend. Perhaps the reunion is just the place to rebuild those relationships.

All of this being said, I do not dread the reunion. I do wish I can impress people with what I've accomplished in life thus far, but 5 years is not a lot of time to accomplish much. Beyond that, I look forwards to seeing everyone and introducing them to my future husband.

No comments: