Friday, January 14, 2005

Tragedy, Hope, and Judgement Day

I have a pretty tender heart when it comes to sadness, loss, and pain. Just recently we have lost another church member from cancer amidst all of the other things that have been going on in the world. I always wonder what God is trying to say when bad things happen. I know there is purpose in His will, but I just wish I could see or understand it.

Lately, judgement day has been coming to my mind a lot. Especially the signs from the Bible. I sometimes wonder if all the things going on in this world are just another step closer. But, of course, it is because as time passes we know the day approaches.

My heart hurts for all the pain suffered recently around the world. The tsunamis have especially pierced my heart. I can't imagine losing someone that way and I can't help but be emotional when I watch the pictures of the damage and destruction. I just don't understand why this sortof thing would happen and kill so many people.

Iraq is a constant heart tugger for me. On the CBS news they do a "Fallen Heroes" segment. I almost can't bear to watch it. From newborns that will never know their fathers, sons building cars with their dads, and couples engaged to be married, the stories of the fallen heroes are so sad. At this point in my life, I don't know what I would do if I lost my Dad, brother, or fiance. I worry about the men and women over there, especially the ones I know or the ones with relationships to my friends and family. It's hard not to when everyday I hear about bombings and death. Why do people kill innocence?

California and the west coast has been hit hard by rain recently and just watching pictures of the mudslides and devastation, I am sad. I heard of one mother and 3 kids being killed in the mudslide while the father survived. How can a person go on after that?

I was shocked to watch pictures from Utah today where I river that is normally 10 feet wide is now 200 feet wide and is swallowing up home after home. My mouth flew open as I watched the shocking footage.

So what is all of this leading up to? Even through all this, watching families reunited with their military loved ones, survivor stories, and the way communities have come together gives me hope. I long for the day when we will be united with the Lord, though I wish for Him to use me for as long as He can here on Earth. I know that there is purpose in all of this and, even through my confusion, I can feel hope for that very reason.

No comments: