Thursday, April 14, 2005

Taxes

So, being in the "real world" has its perks and follies. One folly is that you end up paying more taxes. Probably because you made more money. Oh, so more money = more taxes = no more refund. No more refunds. Hmmm.... Probably because I haven't been paying taxes for the last year!

How did this happen you might say? I am not actually sure. But sure enough, as I looked at my W-2s and my most recent pay stub, they aren't taking anything out for the feds or the state. Yea horay... welcome the big tax bill. And guess what, yeah, I'm broke. I was saving for a house or furniture for when I got married, but now it all goes to the government. I say down with The Man!

Turbotax delivered the disheartening news a couple nights ago. I am dreading writing the $1176 check to the feds and the $548 to the state. Plus, now they want to avoid this problem in the future and want me to send an additional $294 quaterly until the next tax period. Grrrr.... Where is all this money going to come from?

I suppose it could be worse. I could owe a lot more. In fact, with being claimed as a dependant and without donations to church or charity, the bill would probably total $3000. But, i have convinced my Dad to not claim me and added in a lot of charitable monies, volunteer related expenses, and educational expenses and now I only owe the aforementioned dollar amount.

It still stinks.

I did, however, refile my W-4s so that they can start taking money out (since they haven't for the past 3 paychecks this year) so that I can avoid this problem next year.

It still stinks though.

No comments: