Tuesday, October 12, 2004

My DVD Collection

So, I have a ridiculously huge DVD collection. I would make a list of all the DVDs that I have, but that would take too much time. I have almost 80 DVDs and that is way too many for the amount of money that I make. I always make up excuses to buy DVDs. Take for instance the Disney DVDs that come out. They are only out for a "limited time" and then they get put back in the vault for ten years!! And, I always want the collectible cardboard covers! I guess you can say I get hooked in by all the advertising.

I am one of those people that you might call a "movie junkie." I could be completely happy just going to movies all the time! If I had enough money, I would go to every movie that seems interesting (Rodney can't stand that!). Instead, I spend all my money on DVDs that I watch once and then pull out occasionally.

My latestest additions include Aladdin and The Day After Tomorrow. My excuse for buying the previous one was the fact that I plan on showing it in my class (see 1st paragraph for Aladdin). On top of all that, Walmart always offers a cheap introductory price that is usually $4 cheaper. Just think, after 3 DVDs, I have enough to buy one more... Dope! There I go again. Always excuses.

A normal typical woman these days is obsessed with buying shoes, clothes (I have a little obsession with clothes), and accessories (such as purses). But no, I can't be a normal woman. Thankfully, since I don't have enough money to go and see every movie I would like to in the theater, I can actually get out and exercise rather than sitting on my butt, eating popcorn, chomping candy, and drinking a slurpie. But then again, I need an accountability partner to get me going on the exercise thing too (hopefully Bridget and Beth S. will be that).

I can tell you why I have certain DVDs, such as the Lord of the Rings, because those are my favorite movies in the whole world. Then there are the chick flicks that every girl must have, including When Harry Met Sally. I love films that are symbollic such as Signs (in fact I love M. Night Shyamalan's films). I love drama, such as The Last Samurai. I love Sci-Fi, like Star Wars. It's the films such as Collision Course and others that I don't know why I have. I mean, I do know why I bought them, such as the fact that I love one particular actor/actress, or the Croc Hunter, but half of them are not that good anyways. One thing you won't find in my collection are Slasher films. I cannot stand watching a human chop another human up. If it's an alien, then that's ok because its definitely not reality.

The point of all this is that I need some self-control when it comes to my DVD collection. If I know I want one, I need to stick to that one when I go to the store. For instance, I went to Walmart the last two Tuesdays (because that is when they put out the new releases) and instead of buying the one I was there to buy, I bought three extra last week and one extra today. Again, I made up excuses such as, they were so cheap, or I need them. Sigh, no self control.

Well, after all this raving and ranting, I just thought that a couple of you out there might hold me accountable. That, or you could just borrow some of my massive collection!! They would get more use that way anyways!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tamara - Cute Blog!

Ha Ha - we all need to be held accountable for stuff. Like maybe you and I should work on keeping each other out of the stores! See - I have this obsession with buying scrapbooking supplies; stickers, paper, pens - you name it, I probably have it. I don't know what it is - but everytime on of those famous 40% off coupons from Michaels comes in the mail I HAVE TO GO SHOPPING! It's crazy I tell you - and I do the same thing about making excuses. So . . we need to be held accountable for exercising/eating right as well as shopping for (DVD's and Scrapbooking Stuff)!

Bridget