Wednesday, February 15, 2006

God is Good

Most of you know how tough it is at the beginning of the year because of weird pay checks and stuff. Well, we just went through an interesting time with our pay checks this month. Most of you also know that Rodney and I were dislocated in Greenville, NC for awhile with pretty low paying jobs. So, when this month rolled along, we only got partial paychecks from our jobs.

At first, I thought everything would be fine, but then I realized that we really weren't going to make our bills this month unless Rodney started getting paid at his new job immediately. That wasn't going to happen so I started to worry. I knew that God had taken care of us all those months in Greenville when we were barely getting along. He had provided someone to take over our lease when we broke it, so that January wasn't a struggle. My faith that he was going to take care of us this month started to fail a little. I even expressed this to my Mom. I wasn't sure where the money was going to come from. I expressed this on the first Sunday of the month.

Several of you also know that God so delightfully provided us the 2nd vehicle for free when I lost my car to a bad spark plug. Well, my broken down car had been sitting in my gracious mechanic's parking lot since it got towed there on the 27th of December. The plan all along was to donate it to a charity. I had been waiting on my Dad to give me the name of the charity he had used so that I could donate it to the same one (as it seemed easy). Thankfully, my Dad never really gave me that information until the end of January (at the time I wasn't so sure I was thankful; I was more worried about the inconvience I had been by keeping my car at my mechanic's).

Also, I desperately wanted to sell or give away the tires on my car as they were brand new, put on the day before my car died. I had had some prospects, but lost the final one the weekend I told my Mom that I wasn't sure how God was going to take care of us. We really needed about an extra $500 this month just to make the bills.

So, I called my mechanic the day before my car (the Monday after talking to my Mom) was to be towed by the charity to ask him if he had any old tires he could just throw on there so I could take my new tires and hold on to them until I could sell them. He informed me that he had had tires but had taken them to the dump the previous Friday. I lamented on how bad my timing truly was!

Here came the kicker. Kenny, my mechanic, then informed me that a good friend of his had seen my car in the lot. It needed a new engine, and Rodney and I couldn't afford to fix it nor did we think it was worth it as my car was worth less than what it would cost to fix it. This guy wanted it. He offered $500 cash for it! I was going to take a total loss on the tires and only truly get a miniscule tax write off on it, so, needless to say, I canceled on the charity and took the money. Praise the Lord, He had come through after all. I should've never doubted that He wouldn't, and afterwards felt like I had just been paddled by my daddy for that one.

The cool part is that my car will live on. The guy is going to fix it up and give it to his niece. We also made our bills for the month. I was really giddy after the news and couldn't wait to spread the joy.

Next month is going to be even more exciting as God has truly blessed us financially with jobs that can cushion our finances and start digging us out of the shallow hole we are in (thank the Lord it's only shallow!).

No comments: